Motherwell 11-2 Ayr

Written by Andrew Johnstone on November 19, 2009

Chapmans Motherwell 1st XI cruised to an 11-2 win over Ayr on Saturday at Dalziel Park, in a real game of two halves.

Motherwell started brightly, moving the ball around smoothly but without truly threatening the Ayr goals. However, they did eventually break the deadlock about 10 minutes into the first half, midfield powerhouse Chris Mitchell converting from a short corner. Motherwell continued to dominate but quickly found themselves back on level terms, Ayr pulling back a goal on the counter attack after Motherwell had found themselves over committed up front.

After this equalizer Motherwell found it difficult to regain much attacking pressure despite having vastly superior possession. They did though find the breakthrough about 10 minutes before half time, Karlos Reilly scoring with his trademark near post finish from a short corner. The scores were though to be all square at half-time Ayr again equalizing on the counter attack, Motherwell having not learned their lesson and once again finding themselves over exposed.

Chapmans started the second half vivaciously; the half time words of captain Craig Beattie obviously still ringing in their ears. Motherwell opened their second half account within minutes, former GB internationalist David Mitchell scoring with an unstoppable drive. This proved to be a significant shot in the arm to Chapmans with Chris Timlin and Craig Beattie grabbing goals shortly after.

The goals continued to pile on and Ayr found themselves unable to cope with wave after wave of Motherwell attack. The next goal fell to Norwegian debutant Harold Iverson-Vignes, who knocked home after a goalmouth scramble. This effort was soon followed by a brace from Andrew Johnstone, the first a simple tap in after a Ian Mathie effort hit the woodwork. The second was somewhat more glamorous, a pinpoint Chris Mitchell pass was diverted on the slide into the bottom corner.

Ayr found themselves all over the place at the back, and Motherwell did not let up in their goalwards pressure. David Mitchell grabbed his second with another superb solo effort that the Ayr keeper was powerless to stop. The penultimate goal fell to midfield dynamo Chris Timlin for his second, rattling the ball past the goalkeeper with ease following an excellent team passing move. The final goal was scored with the last touch of the game, a powerful Chris Mitchell drive being deflected in by Ian Dyett, capping off a sublime display by the home side.

Subscribe to my RSS feed

Leave a Comment